Support Soho Theatre
If you feel able, please make a donation
Soho Theatre, one of the UK’s leading comedy producers and presenters, joins trail-blazing streaming platform NextUp in a new partnership to film and distribute a series of live comedy specials. This marks the first time in the UK that a major comedy venue and an online service have teamed up to record and showcase full length stand-up shows.
The initial tranche of shows to be filmed are:
Jen Brister: Meaningless
Rising star Jen Brister is a critically acclaimed stand-up comedian, writer and actor. She is a regular performer on the UK and international comedy circuits and has written and performed five solo shows to date. Jen has been seen on Live at the Apollo, Frankie Boyle’s New Order and Hypothetical. She recently supported Frankie Boyle in London and will soon be supporting Romesh Ranganathan on tour. Her debut book “The Other Mother” was released on 5th September 2019.
Shappi Khorsandi: Live in Soho
Shappi Khorsandi is one of the most recognisable faces of British comedy, performing all over the world and appearing on TV programmes and panel shows such as Mock the Week, Have I Got News For You and Live At The Apollo.
She established herself as one of the finest UK comics in 2006 with her sell out show Asylum Speaker. This show lead to the publication of her childhood memoirs, the bestselling “A Beginner’s Guide To Acting English“. Her first novel, “Nina’ Not Ok” was a critically acclaimed bestseller.
Lazy Susan: Forgive Me, Mother
Sketch duo and award nominated comedy double act Lazy Susan is made up of Celeste Dring and Freya Parker. Their debut Edinburgh show Extreme Humans was nominated for the Foster’s Edinburgh Comedy Awards and their 2018 show Forgive Me, Mother was a huge critical success and enjoyed sell out runs at Soho Theatre, as well as Leicester Square Theatre. Their Comedy Short can currently be seen on BBC iPlayer.
Aditi Mittal: Mother of Invention
Aditi Mittal is a comedian, writer and actress from Mumbai, India. As one of the biggest names to come out of India, Aditi has two Netflix Specials under her belt and could also be heard on her own BBC Radio 4 show “A Beginner’s Guide to India.” She has performed at comedy festivals all over the world including Scotland, Australia and Switzerland.
On the partnership, Steve Lock, Soho Theatre’s Head of Comedy says – “NextUp are a dynamic team who have an exceptional ability to record and capture the essence of the live comedy environment for audiences to enjoy on demand. Together we share a genuine passion for comedy and getting it out to the widest possible audience. We are delighted to be working together on this very promising partnership featuring these incredible acts who have performed on our stages many times.”
Dan Berg, CEO of NextUp says – “Soho Theatre is an incredible place for comedy that goes beyond the physical venue – they’re dedicated to quality curation and showcasing new talent which we’re couldn’t be more onboard with. It feels like a really natural fit and we can’t wait to film such unique shows in such a respected venue.”
Tickets can be purchased now for the recordings on September 13th (Aditi Mittal) and September 22nd (Jen Brister, Shappi Khorsandi and Lazy Susan) from sohotheatre.com.
More About NextUp
· NextUp was co-founded by BBC Worldwide’s former Director of Comedy – Stuart Snaith and is backed by the former President of MGM Networks Worldwide – Bruce Tuchman
· A NextUp membership is £4.99 per month with a 7 day free trial and give you access to over 150 incredible stand-up specials, with two new shows added every week.
· NextUp is available on iOS, Android, web, Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Airplay, and Roku and Amazon Channels.
· NextUp recently announced their latest crowdfunding round which allows comedy fans, angel investors and media professionals to own a real share in the company and be part of their journey. More info is at:
· NextUp champions the most exciting names in stand-up comedy including: Tiff Stevenson, Max & Ivan, Alice Fraser, Jordan Brookes, Jess Fostekew, Hal Cruttenden, Bec Hill, Bill Hicks, Bec Hill, Jonathan Pie, Lou Sanders, Tommy Tiernan, Helen Duff, Archie Maddocks, Hollie Burn, Hal Cruttenden, Njambi McGrath, Simon Munnery, Daliso Chaponda and many more (full list here).
More About Soho Theatre
SOHO THEATRE is London’s most vibrant venue for new theatre, comedy and cabaret with a national and international touring programme, a digital presence and an additional venue in Walthamstow in development to be the finest comedy venue in the UK. Since its comedy programme first began 20 years ago, Soho Theatre has presented the early work of countless artists who have developed into some of the UK’s comedy giants including but not limited to Ricky Gervais, Miranda Hart, Russell Brand, Shappi Khorsandi, Sarah Millican, Sara Pascoe and the Olivier nominated Fleabag. It has also been home to the UK premieres for international artists Hannah Gadsby, Ronny Chieng, Natalie Palamides, Trevor Noah, Tim Minchin and many more.